As the budding journalists of the future, Mencap is calling on all of you to enter our inaugural Journalism Awards. Mencap is a charity committed to changing the lives of people with a learning disability. All our services support people to live life as they choose. But they need your help.
Although so much has changed over the years, more needs to be done to raise awareness of the challenges that people with a learning disability face and to help change attitudes towards learning disability. So, we are inviting you to enter our journalism awards. Full details, advice, contacts and guidelines on entering can be found below.
- Entrants should submit an 800 -1000-word article. This can be a news, investigative, interview or feature piece, that would be appropriate for publication in a print publication of your choice.
- We ask that submissions include a word count, headline, your full name, name of your university and course if you are a student and the title of the publication you would be writing for. All of these would need to be submitted in PDF or word format.
- Entrants should submit a piece of broadcast material not longer than five minutes long, suitable for broadcast on radio, television or online.
- This can be a documentary or interview, or news bulletin, but again must be on the theme of learning disability.
- Submissions can be made by visiting our Mencap Journalism Awards website at: https://www.mencap.org.uk/get-involved/mencap-journalism-awards-2019
- A cash prize of £1000 will be awarded to the winner.
- £700 will be awarded to the runner up.
- £500 will be awarded for third place.
Mencap will also use the winning submissions on their website, and in other PR activities. They will invite all winners to a prize giving ceremony at Mencap’s head office in London attended by the judges.
Entry guidelines and advice
Who can enter?
We want the Mencap Journalism Awards to help the journalists of tomorrow have a better understanding of learning disability and so are asking any aspiring journalist to enter the Mencap Journalism Awards.
What type of content should I enter?
As stated above, you should enter either Print Journalism or Broadcast Journalism. With all the entries they need to be relevant to learning disability and the work of Mencap. For inspiration the Mencap website has a wealth of information on learning disability. This document here also outlines some of the key issues affecting people with a learning disability today – https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2016-06/Mencap_Manifesto_2014_1.pdf
How can I enter?
You must submit your print or broadcast submission via the dedicated Mencap Journalism website. Print submissions must be submitted in word or PDF format with your word count, headline, your full name, name of your university and course if you are a student. The same applies for broadcast submissions and these must be submitted via the Mencap website with your length of piece your full name, name of your university and course if you are a student.
What are the deadlines to enter?
The Mencap Journalism Awards has officially opened and the deadline for all submissions to be sent by 29th March 2019.
Who can I contact for further questions?
If you are a student at a participating University, your head of faculty should be able to take your queries and share them with us. Otherwise we would suggest contacting the below email and we will do our best to respond to all questions we receive. email@example.com