Macmillan Cancer Support: Volunteer Role Description and skills profile
Role title: PR and Communications Volunteer
Why do you need me?
Macmillan’s ambition is to reach everyone affected by cancer who wants or needs us. At the moment we are only reaching half of these people and we need your help to make our voice heard!
We are looking for skilled communicators to support the Kent fundraising team with our press and PR as well as monitoring local newspapers and other media in the area.
What activities will I be involved in?
· Writing stories for local media, including parish magazines, Macmillan website and print media e.g. KM
· Collecting and reading local papers, online news, listening to radio and selecting stories relevant to Macmillan Cancer Support, its services and fundraising, identifying potential fundraising opportunities
· Sharing articles and information with the local fundraising team
· Filing information appropriately
· Updating our records of local press contacts/reporters
· Speaking to supporters who are willing to provide us with a case study about their cancer experience and writing this up as press release or as appropriate
· Developing links with local media contacts and sending out press releases etc to them
· Identifying online and other media resources and helping to build relationships with them
· Arranging photocalls and photographers as needed
What skills and abilities will I need to have?
· An understanding of Macmillan’s work
· Ability to organise your work and work on your own initiative
· Word proficiency and ability to conduct internet research
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Confidence in building rapport on the telephone and in discussing sensitive issues with supporters
· Attention to detail
· Enthusiasm for the cause and ability to represent Macmillan Cancer Support
· Willingness to follow Macmillan’s policies, including health and safety, equal opportunities, confidentiality and financial guidelines.
What are the goals?
· To raise Macmillan’s profile in the local area so that people know who we are, what we do and how they can support us
· Increase Macmillan’s fundraising opportunities and income so that we can support more people living with cancer
What are the benefits to me?
This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested in press and PR or fundraising. You would:
· Gain experience of Macmillan’s fundraising events, processes and supporters
· Develop your press and PR skills
· Gain an insight into how Macmillan - a big, successful national charity - works and have access to our database of employment opportunities
· Enhance your CV and gain written references at the end of your internship
· Be part of a supportive, lively and fun team who will facilitate your development
· Get to talk to and meet inspiring Macmillan supporters and see how your work makes a real difference to peoples’ lives
Where will I be based?
This role could be based at home or in an office.
Will I need my own transport?
· Only to get to and from the Kent office (20 Tonbridge Road, Maidstone)
What days of the week/time of day would you need me?
Is there an induction and training?
· Information pack and induction provided to help familiarise you with the work of the charity and the fundraising team
· We will provide any training you need to complete the role e.g. press release writing, communicating with people affected by cancer, giving radio interviews
What ongoing support/guidance will there be?
· Fully supported by the Fundraising Manager, and fundraising team
· Opportunities to meet and network with staff and fellow volunteers during the year
· You will be updated on the success of the team!
Will my expenses be paid?
· We pay volunteers’ “out-of-pocket” expenses within agreed guidelines.
What’s the next step?
· Fill out an application form and we will then arrange for you to come to the office for a chat. Any questions please contact Laura Kennedy on 01622 600050 or email email@example.com
Tel: 01622 600050
Mobile: 07801 307 064
Macmillan Cancer Support
Kent Fundraising Office
20 Tonbridge Road
Maidstone ME16 8RT